Re: X leaves console unusable on exit (Was re: Problems with 4.0.1 servers now in unstable: crash on -configure,screenfreeze on start)

* taper@waxwolf.com <taper@waxwolf.com> [001103 23:59]:
> Using dexter as suggested in another thread, I got X to run (at least
> from the startx script), but if I exit, it still leaves the console in
> an unusable state.

Oik. I was getting this for a little while with my g400, matrox driver.
The only fix was quite magical -- the passing of time. Of course,
Branden updated from vx to vy in the meantime, but who knows what that
effected.

Does magic sysrq bring the machine back? (Is the machine in such a place
that magic sysrq can be used?)

> As a sidenote, in dexter I selected 1280x1024 resolution as my
> monitor's maximum... which it then refused to let me pick as a screen
> mode.  What is going on there?

My bet -- your video card can't run the 1280x1024 res at the mode levels
suggested by the monitor res you chose. (Monitors can be very picky.
Sometimes, on monitors claiming 75Hz, 74.9Hz is too far.) Try to use the
expert menu items, and try dropping your horizontal or vertical rates a
bit.

Best of luck.

[btw, branden -- should all such posts now be forwarded to
debian-user@?]

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all really
impressed down here, I can tell you.''