Re:

Branden Robinson Wrote:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 01:47:33PM -0700, Seth Arnold wrote:
>> Branden has made the decision that xutils isn't needed on all systems.
>> He suggests that reading the package description for xfonts-* will say
>> what is needed.
>>
>> Considering the number of people that have asked about this, perhaps
>> this should be re-thought? Or, perhaps, a package
>> "x-most-people-should-install-this" should be made available with
>> dependencies upon one of {xfonts-100dpi,xfonts-75dpi} and xutils.
>
>Or I can update the X task packages to haul in xutils, which has always
>been my intention.

If mkfontdir is part of xutils, and people need mkfontdir to install the font
packages, then how can the font packages not use xutils?

The description for xfonts-* says:

>This package requires the xutils package to prepare the font directories for
>use by an X server or X font server.  However, once this preparation has been
>done, xutils is no longer needed and may be removed.

OK, but what about when the package is upgraded?

I really don't see how this makes sense.  You are deliberately doing
something that the packaging system was designed to prevent.  Why?  To save 2
megs?  People who need space that badly can remove xutils with
--force-depends.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna <adam-sig@flounder.net> | "No matter how much it changes,