Re: xserver-common phase2v15: dexter does not list /dev/gpmdata

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 04:20:31AM -0700, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:
> I hadn't extensively played with it either, since I have a rather custom
> config (dual head with fixed-frequency monitors).  Though, it would be
> nice if dexter could accept more monitor information, perhaps even a full
> XFree86 modeline. Hopefully that kind of additional support could be
> added later on.

Barring overwhelming demand, I'm just not going to add this functionality.
Dexter's success is going to depend on constraining its focus, which is
getting the naive user without any X server configuration into X with a
minimal requirement of knowledge about his/her hardware and certainly
without any knowledge of the syntax of the XF86Config{-4} file.

Modelines are the deepest of magic.  If you want to play with them, then
you belong in a text editor with the XF86Config{-4} file.

> At least it doesn't overwrite XF86Config. =)

Correct; the latest version will not overwrite without being told to do so.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux                |     pound of antipasto, would they cancel