Re: Hardware GL with a G400

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 08:06:45AM -0500, Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 06:11:47PM +1100, Gordon Heydon wrote:
> >
> > This is a simple question, can anyone tell me how to or better point me
> > in the direction of some documentation on how to get hardware 3gl going
> > with my dual head g400 (I am only using 1 head at the moment) with the
> > Xfree 4.0.1 debs found here.
>
> If you haven't done so already, then get the source code to kernel
> 2.4.0-test9.  I compiled support for my AGP chipset directly into the
> kernel, and I recommend compiling the matrox DRI support as a module.  I
> may be wrong, but it seems that, at least in the past, the X server liked
> to load the kernel module itself.  After installing the new kernel and DRI
> module, remember to reboot.
>
> Dexter, the X configuration program that ran when I installed the most
> recent debs, made a fairly good approximation of an XF86Config-4 file for
> me.  Make sure that you add the following lines:
>
> Section "DRI"
>     Mode 0666
> EndSection

I have had an off-list exchange with Thomas that clarified but did not resolve a
problem I have with DRI.  I get hardware 3d acceleration, as he does, with
2.4.0-test9, which resolved the version mismatch of earlier kernel 2.4 releases.
However, while X is running, my virtual consoles are not usable.  It turns out
that the major difference between our installations is hardware -- I have an ASUS
P5A motherboard with the ALI chipset.  Does anybody have DRI working with the
G400/P5A combination?  (or any other ALI-based motherboard?)