Re: how to deal with nvidia driver/libs

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 03:06:17AM +0200, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> I have a Geforce256 card and I am using the nvidia drivers 0.9-5.
> nvidia provides several libs/modules which conflict with the debian
> package ones.
>
> so far I have solved the following conflicts with dpkg-divert.
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
> 	libGLcore.a.distrib		# local diversion

really no need to divert this...

> 	libglx.a.distrib		# local diversion

this diversion can be avoided by specifying the full path to the libglx.so
in the configuration file.

> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers
> 	nv_drv.o.distrib		# local diversion
> 	nvidia_drv.o			# from nvidia

no need for this diversion either since they are different names (you just
use "nvidia" instead of "nv" in the config file).

> /usr/lib
[snip]
> 	# here comes the problematic one
> 	libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2
> 	libGL.so.1.0.5				# from nvidia
> 	libGL.so.1.2				# xlibmesa3
>
> xlibmesa3 provides libGL.so.1.2 and something insist on libGL.so.1 pointing to
> it.
> I tried to divert the link, so that my link (libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.0.5) is
> not delete by xlibmesa3. This works fine during package install, but as soon as
> ldconfig is called, my link is replace by libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2.
>
> How can I stop this?

for a quick fix if you change the divert-to name to something like:
'distrib.libGL.so.1.2' or anything that changes the name from  having 'lib'
as the first part of the filename the dynamic linker won't load it
automatically and you should be safe from ldconfig changing the symlink on
you.

> Is there a better approach of integrating the vendor supplied drivers?

my solution was to put together all the necessary components and generate
.deb packages for them which has 'Provides: libgl1' so that all dependencies
are met and I don't need to go around dpkg-divert'ing everything (which was
how I started when first testing out the drivers).

Marc