Re: A small question

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 10:47:52PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> At least in XF3, this was not possible.  It might have changed in XF4,
> but I severely doubt it.  It's a limitation of the X protocol; the root
> window can not be resized.

Actually, Jim Getts (yes, *the* Jim Gettys who is one of the fathers of X
itself), is currently revising a whitepaper proposing an "RnR" (Rotate and
Resize) extension to the X protocol that I believe is supposed to permit
such changes in root window geometry.

The nice thing is that I think pretty much only window managers, DGA, and
DRI clients will need to use this extension directly.  I could be wrong,
but I think all conventional clients will get the benefit for free, since
their geometries are completely parented by the window manager.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Any man who does not realize that he is
Debian GNU/Linux                |    half an animal is only half a man.