Re: chips driver doesn't work anymore

* Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@sjoerd.luon.net> [000926 13:25]:
> 	Please tell me if this isn't the right please to sent this mail.
> I've been using the experimental debs from phase 1 and never had a problem,
> untill phase2v9 and phase2v10. It seems that the chips driver is broken.

questions, since it isn't specific to Debian. (I don't think.)

> X works alright when i replace chips_drv.o with an older version.
> Unfortunately i can't supply any logs when using the newer version of
> the driver , because when my machine enters graphical mode it hangs ;(

X should also be leaving logs in /var/log/XFree86.?.log -- probably
XFree86.0.log. (The ? corresponds with/to the display number, I think.)

Check to see if it writes it to disk. (Be sure also to either give the
machine plenty of time for the disk buffers to be flushed, or ensure
that you manually flush the disk buffers while rebooting, either via
telnetting/sshing into your computer and running shutdown normally, or
via the system request key if you have that enabled in your 2.2 or
higher kernel.. (the sysreq key does many neat things, but a sequence I
hit when my X dies on me is alt-sysreq s, alt-sysreq u, alt-sysreq r,
alt-sysreq b. That should sync the drives, and either umount them or
remount them read only (I forget which does which, or if one or the
other is better, so I hit them both :) and then reboot..))