Permedia2 DA/DH Problems with 4.0.1

I have two Permedia2v display adapters, and lspci -v reports this about
them:

00:08.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: 3DLabs Permedia II 2D+3D (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 3DLabs AccelStar II 3D Accelerator
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
        Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at e7800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Expansion ROM at e5000000 [disabled]
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 1

01:00.0 Display controller: Texas Instruments TVP4020 [Permedia 2] (rev
11)
        Subsystem: STB Systems Inc: Unknown device 252d
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
        Memory at e2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at e1800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Memory at e1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 1
        Capabilities: [40] AGP version 1.0

I have XFree86 configured to run in multi-head mode, since the cards
don't match and the monitors they are attached to certainly don't match
(17" on the AGP and 14" on the PCI card).  I'm not using any fb devices,
so when not in X, the PCI card and 14" monitor turn themselves off.  My
problem is that the PCI card refuses to run at anything higher than
8-bit mode.  Once upon a time, when I only had PCI motherboards, I ran
this card at multiple resolutions at 16- and 24-bit color.  If I try to
run 16-bit, I get the familiar `psychadelic' effect, which says to me
that I may be able to tweak it out in the XF86Config file (I know I have
the monitor settings right).  Currently, my PCI card is configured as
follows:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Mouse1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        # KFC/Smile Int'l CA1414VS
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync   30-70
        VertRefresh 40-90
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card1"
        Driver      "glint"
        VendorName  "Texas Instruments"
        Option      "NoAccel"
        BoardName   "Permedia 2"
        BusID       "PCI:0:8:0"
        VideoRam    8192
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device     "Card1"
        Monitor    "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth 8
        SubSection "Display"
                # Due to as-yet-unexplored color issues, we run this one
at 8-bit
                Depth    8
                Modes    "800x600"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Also noteworthy is that once, when running the AGP/17" display at 16-bit
and the PCI/14" display at 8-bit, using an 8-bit theme for my window
manager, I started Netscape in Screen0, and the colormapping was munged
badly on Screen1.  All of the light blues on Screen1 turned blood red
and the dark blues went black.  The only way I got my color back was by
restarting X.  Sadly, this problem was not reproducable.  Why are the
two screens sharing a color palatte, anyway?

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C