Re: XFree86, Mesa, Debian, and libGLU revisited

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:51:29AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  sorry for getting in the middle of the conversation...
>
>  >> Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net> writes:
>
>  > The XFree86 source tree, which contains Mesa (libGL and libOSMesa,
>  > the off-screen rendering library), does *not* contain libGLU.  I
>  > don't honestly know why this choice was originally made (I get the
>  > impression it has something do with libGLU being written in C++ --
>  > no other part of the XFree86 source distribution is).
>
>  Brian stated some months ago (and again last week) he wants to retire
>  the libGLU code from Mesa and use the SGI's Sample Implementation
>  code instead.  What you say seems to indicate he changed his mind.

There was some discution on the xfree mailing list about including the SGI
version of libGLU (maybe even already in CVS as i remember seeing a patch
submition regarding it on the mailing list).

The main problem is that the SGI version is C++, and not C, which can causes
compatibility problems with regard the various C++ compilers that Xfree uses.

There are no licence issues i think, as the licence of libLGU is compatible
with the xfree licence.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER