My woody -> phase2v5 X upgrade notes/ranting

[Please Cc: me on replies]

xf86cfg is damn annoying without a mouse, I couldn't figure out how to
change anything useful or even quit. There's some features that I don't
understand the point of, like being able to drag around the keyboard/
mouse/video card etc on the layout screen.

I ctl-alt-bksp'd to kill xf86cfg and ran xf86config. Of all of the choices
xf86config gives you with the keyboard, XkbLayout isn't one of them. You
have to manually edit the XF86Config to get dvorak.

IMHO there should be a middle ground between xf86cfg and xf86config that
stays in text mode for the configuration but attempts to autodetect as much
as possible (for example, the DDC I2C monitor data provides horizontal and
vertical sync ranges) and only ask if the info can't be retrieved. Does the
X server fall back on a reasonable default (VGA standard 640x480 modelines)
if DDC isn't available and nothing is specified in the config file?

Having used apt-get to do the upgrade, I found myself without
xserver-xfree86. Once I'd looked through the packagenames it was obvious
what I needed, but if everyone needs to do this then it's not a clean
upgrade path.

I don't suppose having xserver-xfree86 Replace: all the 3.x server packages
would be useful?

Other than that, everything went without a hitch. Branden's done a wonderful
job with the packaging.
--
Robert Woodcock - rcw@debian.org
"And yet people take these numbers as if they're written in stone."