Re: XFree 4.0 drivers

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 02:39:07PM +0200, Alain Schroeder wrote:
> Is there any plan to split all the drivers into their own package?

Not at this time.  I thought about it a long time ago when I first started
familiarizing myself with the XFree86 4 way of doing things, and rapidly
came to the conclusion that this could lead us to a nightmarishly complex
set of virtual packages.  Consider that you need a driver for the card,
some font rasterizers, a lot of people want double-buffering, VESA DDC
chattering between the server and monitor, etc etc etc.

There are boatloads of modules shipped in xserver-xfree86.

Here's the big pro:
  * ONE package for EVERYONE, regardless of the video hardware they have.
    (Well, not quite.  People left out in the cold by 4.x still have to use
    old 3.x servers.  Oh well.  It will still be largely true.)

Here's the big con:
  * Size.  Fortunately, while the package is huge now, it will get smaller
    for official release because I'll be stripping it.  Right now
    everything is unstripped so I can get useful backtraces from people if
    need be.

> I´m just asking, because it´s likely, that we will have non-free
> x-server drivers... Well at least, if non-free still exists (I haven´t
> really followed that discussion).
>
> Or there are any other ideas about the nvidia and mga drivers out there?

As I understand it, 3rd party modules have to pick a name that isn't
already in use by XFree86.  Hence "nvidia" instead of XFree86's "nv".

So I imagine people can just install xserver-module-nvidia (if and when
such a package exists) or whatever and edit their /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4)?
file appropriately.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   A celibate clergy is an especially good
Debian GNU/Linux                |   idea, because it tends to suppress any