wanna try x4, but will it improve my experience?

I want to try XFree4, and the debs are sounding pretty stable now
(although I might just install from source for testing before I trash
3.3.6).  Can anyone tell me if it will improve my graphics performance,
because I'm not using fancy hardware, just an older laptop with a Chips &
Tech 1MB 800x600x8bit display w/P133 32MB.  I was hoping that XFree4 might
at the least require less memory than the 3.3.6 SVGA server, what do you
think?

nathanp.