Re: two displays?

> i need 2 displays, what is the best solution? buy the matrox g400max
> dualhead, or buy 2 gaphic cards? sometimes i need only on one X and on the
> other shelll only, and sometimes, on both X, does this work?
I used to use 2 displays using Hercules (mda?) card.
I had text/graphics on VGA and additional text-only console on amber
monitor.
Since you need X on both monitors it doesen't suite you.
I also used to use matrox g200 in AGP slot and S3 sth card in pci slot.
you can customize this setup quite nicely if you use framebuffer,
you then get two indepentent devices and you can f.e run two X servers,
X 4.xx contain support for dual-head monitors, don't know anything about
that, there are also some utils that extend your desktop to two X
displays using old stuff - I've seen those somewhere on freshmeat.

Buing additional graphic card would be cheaper solution, and also
more configurable (you'd need some kind of support in the system two use
dual-head matrxo, of course they are working on this, and that's great,
but XFree 4.0.1 drivers ain't everything)
But of course dual-head matrox. is more clean solution if you get it to
work the way you like it.

regards, Eyck