Re: xlibs-dev?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:34:34AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  is this intentional:

Yes.

>  Package: xlibs-dev
>  Version: 4.0.1-0phase2v1
>  Depends: xlibs, libc6-dev
>  Provides: libxpm4-dev, xmanpages
>  Replaces: xbase (<< 3.3.2.3a-2), xdevel, xpm4g-dev, xmanpages, xlib6g-dev, xlib6g-static
>
>  note there's no Provides: xlib6-dev

It's not needed.

>  and a side question, why the name change? (there's no README, is
>  there? and the changelog doesn't say)

You mean this changelog?

xfree86 (4.0.1-0phase2v1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Using 4.0.1c.
  * DO NOT FILE BUGS AGAINST THIS PACKAGE.  IT HAS NOT BEEN OFFICIALLY
    RELEASED.
  * IF YOU ARE NOT AN X WINDOW SYSTEM BRAINIAC, YOU SHOULD JUST WAIT FOR
    OFFICIAL XFREE86 DEBIAN PACKAGES TO BE UPLOADED TO UNSTABLE.
  * THINGS NOT YET ACTIVATED IN THIS RELEASE:
    + DRI support for 3Dfx cards; needs libglide3, which is not yet ready
      as a Debian package
    + most of the X specification documents; some of them are riddled with
      groff errors and won't build
  * new upstream version (4.0 was not packaged)
    (Closes: #60137,42943)
  * everything back into one source package
  * xlib6g has been renamed to xlibs; this is necessary because
    libXaw.so.6, previously contained in xlib6g, is now in its own package
    (libxaw6).  If xlib6g retained its old name, partial upgrades would be
    broken, since potato-era packages compiled against libXaw 6 would
    expect it to be present on a system with xlib6g installed.  So, the new
    X library conglomeration package is now called xlibs, and xlib6g will
    be maintained externally as a pseudopackage which depends on xlibs and
    libxaw6.  Thanks to Joey Hess for bringing this problem to my
    attention.  (As a bonus, we get to drop the nasty old "g" artifact --
    woohoo!)
  * Not all the Debian patches from 3.3.6 have been migrated forward yet.
[...]

--
G. Branden Robinson             |  <joeyh> oh my, it's a UP P III.
Debian GNU/Linux                |  <doogie> dos it.