Re: two displays?

* SPENER Christian <spener@zsstahl.tu-graz.ac.at> [000907 00:38]:
> i need 2 displays, what is the best solution? buy the matrox g400max
> dualhead, or buy 2 gaphic cards? sometimes i need only on one X and on the
> other shelll only, and sometimes, on both X, does this work?

Chris, I myself have a matrox dual-head g400 max. I need to get my
second monitor back from a friend, and then I can test its dual-head
support. However, I have a feeling that in order to get both ports to
work, I will need to run the Matrox supplied xf86 4.0.1 driver.

I *think* dual video cards would probably suit your needs better;
getting one output to do X and one output to do text on a g400max seems
very non-trivial. Two video cards could probably pull this one off
better, but you will likely need two XF86Config files, and switch
between the two at runtime. Whichever you pick will probably be the one
you have to use until you quit X.

Using them both in X might be the easiest solution. :)

(A slightly related question; how would you choose between the two
heads, when one is in X and one is in text? Is this easy on some
platform? Is there an easy way to get my i386 machine to have two
completely seperate X servers/keyboards/mice to go at once? :)

HTH