Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:

> It has to do with app-defaults files.  Current Debian policy says
> these can't be conffiles, so they go in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.

> Well, upstream has changed things, and it putting them in
> /etc/X11/app-defaults.  Rather than buck this trend, I think we
> should roll with it.

Agreed.

> What's worse is that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults is going to
> need to become a symbolic link to /etc/X11/app-defaults,

Here I don't agree.  Why do we need a symlink, isn't it possible to
keep both directories in parallel until the transition is complete?
IIRC there are some environment variables (XAPPLRESDIR,
XFILESEARCHPATH, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH,...) which tell the applications
(and the xlib) where to look for app-defaults files.  Isn't it
possible to extend this mechanism in the xlib to search for an
app-defaults file in /etc/X11/app-defaults first and if it doesn't
find the file there, to search in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults?
This technique would avoid the symlink trouble and would lead to a
smooth migration.

Except this lintian has to be extended to mark files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults as errors and check whether
/etc/X11/app-defaults/* are conffiles.  Additionally the imake stuff
should be adapted (I propose that XFree86 4.* already did so) to
install app-defaults files in /etc/X11/app-defaults.

So I don't see any need to move the app-defaults files of old packages
and to create any symlinks.  Okay, I see, that it is more work for
you, because you have to implement this fallback mechanism into the
xlib, but this way sounds much more solid to me than the symlink hack.

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *