Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Subject: Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 01:00:32 -0500

> Please, there is no need to CC me list replies; please see the headers of
> this message, as well as the one to which you replied.

Ah, very sorry.  I hope this is okay :)

> I just get the feeling that by taking a program like, say, xterm, and then
> customizing it separately for Hangul, Han, and Japanese, there's some
> duplication of effort.  I think a better program would result if one
> started from the xterm code base and then said, "I'm going to properly
> internationalize this program so it can handle all of these character
> sets."

Well it might be best if every efforts are concentrated
on one point but note that we are in such a chaotic world,
open source comunity, so it is inevitable and natural that
there are many duplication of efforts, IMHO.

I guess that you prefer unity than variety but it is
your personal preference, isn't it?

Don't you admit the existence of both vi and emacs or even

> I'm not opposed to sensible-x-terminal-emulator as long as everyone
> understands what it is: an inelegant workaround made necessary by the
> actions of people who'd rather fork xterm than contribute to it.

Hmm, then a user of rxvt is a bad person?  From your tone
I can not help thinking that you are opposed to
sensible-x-terminal-emulator only by your preference.

If there is any unpoliteness please forgive me.  It is only
because of my lack of English ability and never my intention.

Best Regards,			2000.7.19

 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.