Re: rman (PolyglotMan) + TkMan are now under the Artistic License.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 05:00:16PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> Since Stephen M Moraco <stephen_moraco@agilent.com> is currently the rman
> maintainer (he has uploaded rman_3.0.9-1 to incoming a few weeks ago) and my
> intended TkMan deb depends on rman I just want to make sure that everyone here
> is aware to the rman package status.

XFree86 4.0.1 is putting me in the interesting position of having to either
hijack packages from people (libxpm*), or work out some sort of détente
with them (Mesa, rman, and others).

Stephen, can you tell me if rman upstream development has officially been
transferred to XFree86?  I know this is the case with the Xpm libraries,
since Xpm was essentially a "finished" spec and implementation a couple of
years back.  I know the X guys have been hacking on rman quite a bit, so
this indicated the possibility to me that they have taken over its upstream
maintenance.

Just a note to bystanders reading this.  Don't panic, I'm not going to put
4.0.1 in unstable with undeclared conflicts.  My initial, experimental
packages may do so, however.  Once the Phase 1 .debs are up I'll watch the
reports roll in about exactly what packages 4.0.1 steps on.

Here's what I know so far:

PACKAGE		MAINTAINER	NOTES

libxpm*		Josip Rodin	I talked to Josip; these will be swallowed
				into my XFree86 packages
				libs/headers to xlib6g and xlib6g-dev
				xlib6g will provide libxpm4
				binaries to xbase-clients
pixmap		Paul Slootman	haven't talked to him; this package will be
				redundant now that xbase-clients "bitmap"
				program has equivalent functionality
mesa		James Treacy	I talked to him; because of GGI and stuff,
				Mesa will continue to be maintained
				independently of X, however X will provide
				its own Mesa/GL implementation in xlibgl1
				(which will provide libgl1) and xlibgl-dev
dpsclient	Ryuichi Arafune	haven't talked to him
				This package contains libraries as well as
				executables for some reason; I think the
				DPS libraries in it are old; their major
				version number is zero and the ones in
				XFree86 4.0.1 are 1.
rman		Stephen Moraco	haven't talked to him, see above

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    You can have my PGP passphrase when you
Debian GNU/Linux               |    pry it from my cold, dead brain.