Re: Can't log in with xdm and VMware X server

It sounds like there's an xauth problem... maybe there's some bad
interaction between the xf86 libraries and the vmware X server. You
might be able to tell more by logging in on a VC (or disable xdm by
booting in single user mode, or whatever) and looking at .Xauthority,
xauth, etc. from another VC. You should be able to keep X running by
putting something that won't exit at the end of a .xinitrc/.xsession,
so that it stays up long enough to poke at... of course, you'll then
have to exit via ctrl-alt-bs to kill the X server. Oh, you could also
just run "X" at a VC, and switch back and forth between the X VC
(ctrl-alt-f7) and the console (ctrl-alt-f1), and start test programs
on the console (you'll have to set DISPLAY by hand or use -display a
lot).

You could also try using unix:0.0 or localhost:0.0 as a display to
force it to use either unix domain sockets or TCP/IP respectively.

You could also look at the host-based authorization stuff, like
/etc/X0.hosts and the xhost command. In any case, keeping the server
running long enough to figure out where the problem is seems like the
first priority.

			just my $0.02

				- M

--
Mark "Monty" Montague | monty@gg.caltech.edu  | I don't do Windows(tm)
       Give me a perl pocket ref, and I'll give you the world.