Re: error

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 02:34:01AM +0100, marco@tecnogi.com wrote:
> Since the last update do potato, i get the annoying error message connecting sith ssh to my server:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  unable to open tmp file "/home/marco/.Xauthority-n"
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  unable to write authority file /home/marco/.Xauthority-n
>
> In addition, i cannot run vim anymore connecting to my machine from another host.
> Any idea on how to solve this annoying situation?
> Thanks

 Xauth is a more modern way to authenticate X clients to the X server than
xhost.  xhost is host/IP addr based, but xauth is based on keys of some type
(don't really know :).  I don't know why xauth is having problems creating
those files in your home directory.  It should be able to open them for
writing, assuming you ran the command as  marco.

 You can't run vim because your X server won't let them in.  (you will
notice that no X connections work, not even xdpyinfo.)  You can use the
xhost command to go back to the old host-based access control, or you can
read the xauth(1) manpage and  xauth list  an appropriate cookie for the
display you want to set up a connection to, then use  xauth add  to store
the cookie in  .Xauthority  on the remote machine.

for further reading, see Xsecurity(3).  (which thinks it is Xsecurity(1),
but the filename and location puts it in section 3 according to the man
command...)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/