Re: /etc/X11/Xmodmap re-revisited

On Wed, Mar 1, 2000, Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

>Actually, I've decided to do the sensible (?) thing and identify the
>keycodes by keyboard model rather than the machine architecture.  One way
>or another you can probably manage to plug a PC keyboard into just about
>anything, so it doesn't make much sense to refer to it as an "i386"
>keyboard.
>
>Comments?  Suggestions?

The last time I looked at the USB keyboard driver, it was broken enough
to prevent you from doing that.

basically, it will either convert the keycodes to PC keycodes if you are
compiling for i386, or to ADB keycodes if CONFIG_MAC_KEYBOARD is defined,
or will just not compile if neither of them is defined.

I'll see with the maintainer if this can be changed to simply use PC
keycodes all the time on all archs _except_ when we are running on a
PowerMac (and this will be checked at runtime and not compile time).