Re: where is xfree?

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:59:26PM +0200, Stefan Berndtsson wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> > > No, I'm saying the 3.3.5-1.1 works better than 3.3.3.1-10, however neither work
> > > as well as the 3.3.5 from Tom Rini (just stole the binary from his .rpm).
> > >

> > Ok, that means TOm Rini has some patch we are not aware of, or that some of the
> > mach64 stuff in the debian patches messed things up for you.
> >
> > Could you try the upstream X server. I have older binaries (they are 3.3.3.1f
> > or something like that, but there should be no big difference between them and
> > the current 3.3.5 corresponding the XF68_FBDev server.)
> >
> > The site is at http://dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr/~luther/xfree.
> >
> > Try this one :
> >
> > http://dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr/~luther/xfree/XF68_FBDev_pm2_4.gz
>
> This one seems to work, from a stability POV, however, it does not deal with the
> colour settings properly.

Ok, this is the plain upstream source, no debian stuff. So maybe some problem
were added by one of the debian patches. I will thus forward the mail to
debian-x. I will try compiling a normal X 3.3.5 server this evening, and upload
it here (huh i cannot before sunday, perhaps you should try compiling it
		  yourself if you have space).

> I also get loads of this message:
>
> mach64CreateGC: unsupported depth: 16. Using cfbCreateGC instead.
>
> That is when running "-bpp 16". Using a depth of 15 doesn't seem to work with
> your version.
>
> With Tom Rini's version I can use depth 15 and don't get the above message.
>
> If I run Tom's version with -bpp 16, I get a screwed up screen (no pixmaps
> seem to contain anything proper) and I get the following two messages (repeatedly):
>
> mach64CopyArea: unsupported depth 15
> cfbXRotatePixmap: unsupported bitsPerPixel 8
>
> /Stefan

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER