Re: Installing an X fonts package to a new FontPath.

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> *) BDF fonts should be converted to PCF fonts with the bdftopcf utility,
>    gzipped, and placed in a directory that corresponds to their resolution:
>
>    100dpi fonts should go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi.
>
>    75dpi fonts should go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi.
>
>    character-cell fonts, cursor fonts, and other low-resolution fonts should
>    go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc.
>
> *) Speedo fonts should go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo.
>    (I know of no freely-licensed Speedo fonts other than those that ship
>    with X itself.)
>
> *) Type 1 fonts should go in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1.

What about the truetype fonts, though it's not supported by Xfree86
yet ?

> *) The creation and usage of other font directories under
>    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts is discouraged.  (The PEX and cyrillic
>    directories are "grandfathered" in because they are part of the X
>    distribution.)

We can consider about the case of gsfonts-x11.  Ghostscript's type1
fonts can be shared by ghostscript and X11.  (I really like this type
of sharings.)  There seems to be no way for gsfonts-x11 to meet your
proposal.

--
Changwoo RYU