Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:56:00 +0100
From: Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com>
To: Kestutis Kupciunas <kkupciunas@alna.lt>
Cc: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>,
        Pablo Saratxaga <pablo@mandrakesoft.com>
Subject: Re: Lithuanian locales

Kaixo!

On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 08:31:33PM +0200, Kestutis Kupciunas wrote:

> MandrakeSoft did a great job bringing Lithuanian language support
> into Linux.

Yes. That has been possible thanks to the help of the people using Linux in
Lithuanian, that brings their help, tested, and give info on the charset
encodings used.

> I guess, Debian community may largely benefit from what
> Mandrake has done:

Of course; I hope it gets included on standard sources.

>  Debian has been carrying quite old Lithuanian
> locales for a long time now, maybe somebody could update it?
> Here is the link for proper Lithuanian locales RPM:
>     http://www.linuxi18n.org/locales/locales-lt-2.0-4mdk.noarch.rpm

However; it is not the lt_LT locale itself which was the problem (it is
correct) but the charset encoding. Most systems use iso-8859-4 to define
the lcoale; but the charset really used in Lithuania is iso-8859-13.

For the locale it was quite trivial to replace ISO-8859-4 with ISO-8859-13
when calling localedef on lt_LT.
But there were also the need to patch XFree86 to add proper support
(iso8859-13 was included; but that was almost all; there were missing keysyms,
missing Compose file; and the lt locale was declared t ouse iso8859-4.
So the real changes are in XFree86, where I added the few missing keysyms
for iso8859-13 chars, a Compose file, lithuanian keyboards, proper definition
of lt, lt_LT etc to use iso8859-13, and support of iso8859-13 on the X-TT
font server with True Type support (as having support for a given encoding
without the ability to use fonts on that encoding is not very fun :) )

So, the file to get is rather XFree86-3.3.5-9mdk.src.rpm (or higher).
My patches are on XFree86-3.3.5-i18n and XFree86-3.3.5-fixkbd files
for XFree86, and the xtt patches.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga