Re: autodectection of modules at boot time

Randolph Chung wrote:
> i was originally going to try doing this with debconf, but just didn't have
> a chance to do it yet. if you can put something together, that will be
> great!

It will require modifications of all window manager packages. But it'll be
worth it -- when you install several window managers at once, it will be
able to generate a list of them and present it to the user to select the
default. If you remove the default window manager, you'll see the list again
and be asked to pick a new default.

The ispell packages are pioneering this use of debconf, the situation with
window managers will be similar.

> I am thinking that a lot of this configuration will go on when the
> system is only minimally configured, so we have to make sure that whatever
> we come up have as few dependencies as possible.

Debconf config scripts (which will be responsible for making the above
interactions happen) are required to only use things that are in base or
essential.

--
see shy jo