Re: Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't switch to text console on potato

    Gregory> 3.3.5-1 doesn't seem to have that problem here, using the
    Gregory> xserver-3dlabs server.  Possibly it's a server issue? (I
    Gregory> can't test xserver-svga, as my card is one of the few
    Gregory> which doesn't work with it).

I should have done this before sending mail to the list, but: I tried
a few other window managers, on the theory that the one I was using
was "stealing" that keystroke (although I would imagine that the X
server gets first crack at the keystrokes ... I dunno).  Anyway, there
was no difference when I used `flwm'.

    Gregory> Are you using xdm (or equivilent) to perform a graphical
    Gregory> login?

Yes.

    Gregory> If so, you might look at /etc/inittab and make sure that
    Gregory> the VTs each have a getty defined (this is just a wild
    Gregory> guess...).

They do.

But I noticed something else -- after logging out, with the xdm login
prompt on the screen, I *could* switch to a text console with
Ctrl+Alt+F1.  I think I'll try again with some more window managers ...