Re: apt-get configurator for boot-floppies?

> >For framebuffer X11 configuration i'ld like to add a little script, but i have
> >it not yet. It is very easy (as long as we have no XConfigurator), just ask
> >for the mice type and dev, HorizSync and VertRefresh.
>
> For PCI users, I remember someone on #debian-devel had done a little
> script that could pick your video card and X server.  One of the most
> confusing things for new users is picking the vid card.  The script
> worked cross platform (so long as it was PCI).  I don't remember the
> name of it or who did it.
>
> Hartmut, have you asked around on the debian-x list to see if anyone
> offers to help?

No, have me not yet subscribed to this list, will do it.

One advantage for framebuffer is, that you must not know the video card and
the X server. Video is in the kernel, x-server is fbdev-xserver. For mice
it is possible to autodetect. Keyboard information comes from the first
question for the boot-floppy setup. So we need only HorizSync and VertRefresh
for the monitor. Thats all (if the kernel supports your graphic card).

Thanks,

   Hartmut