Re: Accelerated video driver for XFree86 4.1.0

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 11:11:20PM -0500, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Could you recommend a 3D accelerated graphics card that I should buy
> (preferably AGP) to get decent performance in X?  I have two linux
> workstations I want to upgrade with new cards but I'm not sure what I should
> buy.

Go to www.nvidia.com, download the linux drivers for xfree86.  Read the
documentation and install.  These drivers are closed-source but do the job
at least as well as their windows counterparts (read: FAST).

ATM there aren't many consumer-oriented video cards with the 3D performance
of the current generation NVidias that have stable open source driver
support (and hardware accelerated OpenGL) for XFree86.  I do believe that
the Radeons are slated to fill this niche, but I don't know what the current
status is w.r.t. 3D acceleration.

Hope this helps,
Charl