Re: report

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:02:37AM +0100, Sebastian Rosenkiewicz wrote:
> > Preparing to replace xbase-clients 4.0.3-4 (using
> > .../xbase-clients_4.1.0-11_i386.deb) ...
> > ERROR: /etc/X11/xkb/xkbcomp exists and is not a symbolic link.  This
> > package cannot be installed until this file is removed.
> > Aborting installation of xbase-clients package.
> > dpkg: error processing
> > /var/cache/apt/archives/xbase-clients_4.1.0-11_i386.deb (--unpack):
> >  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
> > ERROR: /etc/X11/xkb/xkbcomp is not a symbolic link.  The package preinst
> > script should have failed.
> > Please report the package name, version, and the text of the above error
> > message(s) to <debian-x@lists.debian.org>.
> > dpkg: error while cleaning up:
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> Please mail us the output of:
>
> dpkg -S /etc/X11/xkb/xkbcomp

I renamed xkbcomp in that dir to xkbcomp.bak, and the package installs
smoothly. The xkbcomp file is now a symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/xkbcomp. The
output is probably useless now, but anyway here you go:

linux:~# dpkg -S /etc/X11/xkb/xkbcomp
xbase-clients: /etc/X11/xkb/xkbcomp

> Also, did you put anything in that directory by hand (i.e., not with
> dpkg)?

No I didn't. But there's a redundant "symbols.dir.dpkg-dist" file put by
some other package upgrade.

Sebastian Rosenkiewicz