Re: how to get more recent translations for important web pages

[Adding debian-www to the loop]

Hi,

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Sun, 3 Dec 2023 00:08:21 +0100):
> I would not vote too strict against the removal of outdated translations,
> in fact I did that some years ago for German as well, due to lack of
> manpower in the German team.
> You don't get applause for such initiative, it's an unthankful job.
>
> That being said, I could imagine a timeframe from ~6 months for this
> to be senseful?
>
> On the other hand, it occurred to me, if it's possible, to only change the
> filename from let's say index.wml to index.wml.old instead of removing the
> file (assuming that the wml build process of the website ignores such
> files; did not check that).
> That would make it very easy for translators, to catch up with their work,
> if they find time.
> Of course you might say "Hey, the file is not lost, we have a git repo
> here! No need for such trick."
> That's of course correct, but translators might not be as familiar with
> such advanced usage of git as DDs are.
> So I think it would be worse it.

I have tested this for ../german/releases/trixie/installmanual.wml,
renamed that into installmanual.outdated and that works, the page gets
removed from the web, and otherwise no errors on the webwml build.
So, maybe that would be a possible "solution", instead of removing the
translation files completely?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076