Re: po statistics

Hi,

Am 17. November 2023 11:44:22 MEZ schrieb Thomas Lange <lange@cs.uni-koeln.de>:
>If I look at
>/srv/www.debian.org/www/international/l10n/po
>I see more than 9400 html files. Wow!
>We provide the "Status of PO files for language code: de — German " in
>15 different languages (ls de.*.html) and all german files (including
>de_*.*.html) are 112. What is this good for?
>I'll just pick one:
>de_PY.nl.html is
>"Toestand van de PO-bestanden voor de taalcode: de_PY — German @tmpl_lang@ndash; Paraguay "
>who needs this?
>

>First, why is the list of languages on page
>https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/
>so long? Shouldn't we just list the main lagnuages, without it's variants?
>Should we ignore all "Unknown language"?

I also had similar thoughts in the past.

What do people think about us, when they see such a massive language
list, with absolutely stupid looking (and some wrong) entries?

"Debian is completely crazy" ?
"They are unable to or have no interest in maintaining their system well" ?

The problem would be: which do we want to display and which
not. You would need some clever logic (if this possible) or need
to maintain a list by hand. Which would be an unthankful job,
and it costs time.

That's an issue indeed ...

Holger

--