Re: Tons of News html files under www.debian.org

Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> (2022-02-03):
> while looking for the build status of the latest installation-guide
> upload for the website, I found hundreds of News html files residing
> directly under www.debian.org, starting from 1997 until 01.06.2018.
>
> Below a loose excerpt of those (1 per year):
>
> www.debian.org/19970301.en.html
> www.debian.org/19980101.en.html
> www.debian.org/19990212.en.html
> www.debian.org/20000116.en.html
> www.debian.org/20010415.en.html
> www.debian.org/20020403.en.html
> www.debian.org/20030531.en.html
> www.debian.org/20040524.en.html
> www.debian.org/20050724.en.html
> www.debian.org/20060901.en.html
> www.debian.org/20070407.en.html
> www.debian.org/20080726.en.html
> www.debian.org/20090730.en.html
> www.debian.org/20100806.en.html
> www.debian.org/20110515.en.html
> www.debian.org/20120706.en.html
> www.debian.org/20130809.en.html
> www.debian.org/20141020.en.html
> www.debian.org/20150110.en.html
> www.debian.org/2016060402.en.html
> www.debian.org/20171007.en.html
> www.debian.org/20180310.en.html
> www.debian.org/20180601.en.html
>
> They can be found on wolkenstein under /srv/www.debian.org/www and
> have all been created on 02. or 04. June 2018.
>
> I guess there was some build script for the website completely going
> crazy and thus causing this.

End of May/beginning of June 2018 is when the cvs to git transition took
place, that could have been a side effect.

They were a bunch of commits on 2018-06-04 that seem like they could
have fixed the buggy behaviour you've spotted: you can check
6e1be1595a987b4c8b38df41146890869855f6a5 and a bunch of follow-up
commits if you like.

Anyway, the clean-up you're proposing looks good to me.

Cheers,