Re: Lost wiki page

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:03:55PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
>I created a (quite extensive) wiki page. I did not save it and then
>foolishly closed Firefox down. On restarting, I do not get the page
>back.
>
>Can I recover it?

If you saved it *at all* we can look on the wiki server for any trace,
but if not you'll be stuck with whatever you have on your machine. The
browser *might* still have the file in its disk cache if you're lucky.

I tend to avoid doing non-trivial wiki edits directly inside the
browser if I can avoid it, for exactly this kind of reason. You could
just cut and paste to a browser locally, or if you're likely to do a
lot of work like this then there are Firefox extensions. I used to use
It's All Text to do that, then had to shift to Textern when the
massive changed in Firefox internals changed how extensions worked.

Textern is a little fiddly to set up, but largely works well for me.

--
Steve McIntyre                                        93sam@debian.org
Debian wiki admin - wiki.debian.org                    wiki@debian.org