Re: https://www.debian.org/mirror/list debian.inode.at 403 Forbidden

On Thu, 2021-03-18 at 10:18 +0100, mx vx wrote:
> Hi
>
> I do not use mobile devices.
>
> I use the same DSL Line for years.
>
> In jul 2020 I set up a debian box with:
> deb http://debian.inode.at/debian/ bullseye main contrib

Having 'contrib' but not 'non-free' isn't an improvement: with only a few
exceptions, the 'contrib' section contains packages that depend on those
in 'non-free'.  That is just a minor and irrelevant quibble: it isn't
causing your current problem.

> since about march I get this (I tried it today again)
>
> E: Failed to fetch
> http://debian.inode.at/debian/dists/bullseye/InRelease  403  Forbidden
> [IP: xx.xx.xx.xx 80]

I can confirm that debian.inode.at is giving me a 403 as well.

debian.inode.at is not a Debian project website: it appears to be a German
internet provider.  We have no control over what they do or do not put on
their website.

If inode.at (or magenta.at) is not your internet service provider, and you
don't get discounts for updating from them, I would recommend switching
your sources.list to use deb.debian.org.

The new file would look like:

    deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main

(I also made a few extra changes.  One is using HTTPS, and the other is
removing 'contrib').

If you do use them as your service provider, or if you would gain
additional charges for potentially international connections, there are a
few steps you could take.

Firstly, try contacting them.  They may have unintentionally stopped their
mirror, or have migrated it to somewhere else.  If you are a customer of
theirs, then you have a decent chance at persuading them to start
providing it once more.

Second, try finding another German mirror.   A list of all such mirrors
can be found here: https://www.debian.org/mirror/list

Third, you can use deb.debian.org, but minimize the bandwidth usage by
also making use of the debdelta package.  Debdelta reduces the size of apt
updates by only downloading the changes made by an updating package.
Install it with
	sudo apt install debdelta
Then use the following commands to upgrade your system:
	sudo apt update
	sudo debdelta-upgrade
	sudo apt upgrade
(You would use those commands instead of any graphical software manager,
but some software managers may use debdelta if it is present)

> E: The repository 'http://debian.inode.at/debian bullseye InRelease' is
> not signed.
>
> I missed the second line: about an unsigned file I guess.
> I suppose that is a result of the line above.

It is, yes.  That error is given whenever the server can be contacted, but
the package files in it are not usable.

Hope this helps,
Calum