Re: Translation of Korean language. 朝鮮語 or 韓國語 ?

Hi,

I have a bit different perspective on this subject.

As I understand, the current ko page is actually following ko_KR
writing convention and not ko_KP.  (Just guessing...)
I heard ko_KR and ko_KP are different enough.  I am sure you can tell
it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North%E2%80%93South_differences_in_the_Korean_language

There is less argument to call ko_KR as 韓國語(韓国語) in Japan.

All business oriented language text books for Korean use 韓国語 since that
is the languge we learn as Japanese.

Please think about using the fact that the current ko page has ko_KR
content as the rationale.  Then inform Japanese translator to use 韓国語
to identify that page if there is no influence of DPRK style.  It is
reasonable request to credit your translation work properly.  (I am not
Japanese translator)

If you start arguing what is the correct translation of Korean in
Japanese, you ends up with deadend argument.  I know it is an awkward
situation.  (Japan officially only recognize Republic of Korea.)

FYI: Wikipedia uses 朝鮮語 on Japanese page at this moment.  Japanese
government and professional documents use many different words:

韓国語
朝鮮語
韓国・朝鮮語
朝鮮・韓国語
(You can find a long description in japanese wikipedia page how Korean
language is described in Japan
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9C%9D%E9%AE%AE%E8%AA%9E
)

Regards,

Osamu

On Sun, 2020-03-29 at 16:36 +0900, sebul wrote:
> Thank you. I'll don't touch it.
>
> BTW, WWII means World War 2 ?
>
> 2020년 3월 29일 (일) 오후 3:26, Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>님이 작성:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > 2020년 3월 29일 (일) 오후 1:15, "세벌" <sebul@korea.kr>님이 작성:
> > >
> > > Hello.
> > > https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po4a/index.ja.html
> > > says
> > > ko — 朝鮮語
> > >
> > > Is it correct ?
> >
> > I already answered you about it years ago in the debian-l10n-korean
> > list. This is Japanese translation and is up to the Japanese
> > translators.
> >
> > > I think that
> > > ko — 韓國語
> > > is  correct.
> >
> > It's not important what Korean persons think about it. Language
> > names
> > (and sometimes even country names) do not necessarily represent the
> > current political state. It's matter of habits and practices.
> >
> > For those who do not know the name game: North and South Koreas
> > actually use different official names between them. (While they use
> > the same "Korea" as the  international name.) South Korea uses
> > Hanguk(한국,韓國), North Korea uses Joseon(조선,朝鮮). But the North Korean
> > name Joseon has been used for centuries until the end of WWII in
> > the
> > whole peninsula, so that name is still being used in Asian
> > countries
> > to refer Korean area or Korean language, even when the language is
> > spoken by South Korean people

This last part is ... depends on who you ask.

> > > What file must be changed to do this ?
> >
> > Please do not. Your git access is not given for touching Japanese
> > translation.

Don't touch by your self but explaining actual page content and asking
to use word for ko_KR is a fair game if you feel strongly.

Osamu