Re: RFC: New Member Process documentation

Hello all

Note: this is my personal opinion, not a consensus reply from the team.
Also, maybe other things come to mind later, but now that I'm in front
of the computer, I prefer to reply than leaving it for a later that can
be too late. Any other feedback is welcome!

El 20/4/20 a las 20:59, Pierre-Elliott Bécue escribió:
> Dear WWW Team,
>
> After a discussion with Enrico, we both agreed on the fact that the
> documentation on the official Debian Website regarding the New Member
> Process (ie https://www.debian.org/devel/join/ and subpages) was needing
> some changes :
>
>  1. It was a bit outdated, eg the steps didn't match what the nm.d.o
>     site currently shows
>  2. It's hard to maintain for DAM when the added value of being on the
>     official website instead of the wiki is low to nought.

Probably in another thread (or maybe in an IRC chat some day you like),
but I really appreciate more details about what could we do to make
website sections easier to maintain (so we help other teams in similar
situations).

For now, we try with:
* We're in git (but still carrying the bad fame from CVS times?)
* Maintainers only need to care about the /english folder, translators
will care about the rest
* Technically it's wml+perl but in fact it's mostly very basic HTML
* The team accepts contributions via almost any channel (bts, salsa,
mailing list...) and we're happy to provide commit permissions to
whoever wants to maintain pages...
* Questions/comments/ask for help in our IRC channel/mailing list are
usually replied quickly.

You say later that you would like to keep some parts (even if minimal)
on the website so if we can help in any way, just tell.

>  3. Developer's and Non-Developer's contributions are also hard to get,
>     while they could improve both the exhaustivity and the readability
>     of the documentation.

Sorry, this point I didn't understand.

>  4. Still, there is a need for some elements to remain on the official
>     site.
>
 > We agreed that wiki.d.o/DebianDeveloper was probably a nice namespace to
> move that documentation to, and to clean up a bit, too, at the same
> time.
>
> So, I created https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject and
> many subpages :
>
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMemberCheckList
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember/StatusChangeStep
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember/IntentStep
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember/CommitmentsStep
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember/AdvocacyStep
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember/IdentificationStep
>  - https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDeveloper/JoinTheProject/NewMember/ApplicationManagerStep
>
> This is a work in progress, and although it seems reasonable to expect that
> we'll proceed with that or some variant,

I'll try to have a look at the wiki pages and compare with the current
website pages.

The worse part of moving the stuff to the wiki would be to lose the
translations, probably. Maybe most of the content would be rewritten in
 and we would lose them anyway, but AFAIK there are more teams working
in translating the website than the wiki (this could be alleviated by a
call for translations, maybe).
In any case, if you move some parts directly without changes (certain
paragraphs), maybe it would be nice to leave a note for translators
somehow so they can copy their translation too, saving work.

we would like to ask you your opinion
> as this would include wiping https://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm* pages

I don't know which other places in Debian (documentation, packages, wiki
pages, policy...) the https://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm*  are
mentioned, but maybe it's good to set a list of redirects that we can
add to the Apache configuration of the website, so people are driven to
the new pages.
We would need a bit of help from your part with that (the list of old
pages to delete and the corresponding new pages).

and
> rework https://www.debian.org/devel/join/ (Enrico has draft a patch for the
> join page).

Thanks!

> I tried to incorporate anything I know about the NM Process, with Enrico's
> help, but I'm pretty sure this is far from perfect. If you have remarks on the
> content, these are more than welcome!

Feel free to create a branch under the webwml repo, if you prefer

https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml/

or use the BTS (www.debian.org pseudopackage), as you wish.

Now, with my publicity team hat, I think it would be nice to publish
some news item (article in bits.debian.org or other) explaining the
move/rework so the new documentation/info pages arrive to a wider
audience, and reduces frustration of people trying to find the old
pages. Ping us at debian-publicity to coordinate that, if you find it is
a good idea.

Kind regards,
--
Laura Arjona Reina