Re: Why are we blocking some addresses any access to the wiki?

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 5:58 PM Calum Jackson wrote:

> It seems every day a new mail comes in about someone getting a 403 forbidden when trying to access the wiki through their proxy server or VPN, or even just their home address.  Now, edit-blocks would make sense, but we already require any prospective wiki editors to email in to make an account.  Why is it that we ban entire IP ranges from even reading the wiki?

There is a combination of a few factors:

The software we use doesn't differentiate between types of accesses in
its blocking code.

Last time we removed the block, the server got overloaded.

The current admin team hasn't had time to retry that and figure out
why it got overloaded.

--
bye,
pabs