Re: Why are we blocking some addresses any access to the wiki?

Hello,

On 29/04/2020 15:17, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>> No one disagrees so I will contact the upstream developers on github
>>> to know if they are interested by such feature. If so, I will try to
>>> implement it.

The main developer is not convinced by the idea:
https://github.com/moinwiki/moin/issues/1004

> We already have a small set of patches applied to upstream 1.9
> for the Debian package that we're also using for wiki.d.o.

I doubt it's interesting to maintain such patch for Debian only.

We could modify the content displayed when the user gets
a 403 error. It does not fix the problem but the user will get an
explanation.
I hope it would be a better experience for the user and less requests on
debian-www.

In Moin v.1.9, the 'description' attribute of the 'Forbidden' class
seems to be right place:
https://github.com/moinwiki/moin-1.9/blob/38a81aa826ee76fe9fd96413e2a660f1e39914dc/MoinMoin/support/werkzeug/exceptions.py#L316

What do you think about this workaround?

Regards,
Stéphane