Re: new Debian homepage: request for translations

On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 02:19:19PM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > In short, before the new pages can go live, we absolutely need
>     > something dynamic to take care of fetching the hand-picked news
>     > items, and perhaps also the sliding images and their texts.
> The sliding images will not change that much, maybe every 2 or 3
> months or less often.

That's much too often to bother the translators not working on such
content.  The front page should only need updating when its own
content is changed.

> Currently we show the 6 latest news. But in english, if the title was
> not translated.

Yes, it's fine to continue using the English title if there's no
translation available.  I believe we have, or had, a feature to only
translate the news item title, but that seems misleading to the
visitors.

> It would be nice if get_recent_list (which is used for getting the
> lastest news or security items) could take a list of file names, and
> not only the latest N items.

How about a front page tag in the news items themselves?  That's
assuming that the hand-picking is taking place when the news file is
added.  I don't know how get_recent_list works, but if it can read
more tags then that might be the easiest solution, as it for front
page use could skip items lacking the tag, and the translator workflow
would be unchanged.

--
Regards, Kaare