Re: new Debian homepage: request for translations

Hi all

El 5/11/19 a las 13:27, Kaare Olsen escribió:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 09:51:10AM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:
>>     > 1) Why don't use the dynamic list for News, as in the actual
>>     > index.wml
>>     > (<:= get_recent_list('News/$(CUR_YEAR)', '6', '$(ENGLISHDIR)', '',
>>     > '\d+\w*' ) :>)
>> During the Web team sprint we decided to select which News we want to
>> present on the frontpage. In the past we had for e.g. 4 news
>> concerning new point releases. This is what we want to avoid by
>> selecting the news.
>
> I agree that it's far from ideal to have the news on the front
> page dominated by point releases, but Baptiste raised an
> important point.  The hard-coded solution with the hand-picked
> news items will unnecessarily outdate all translations of the
> front page upon each change to the displayed news.
>
> Not all translation teams have the resources to translate the
> news items, and probably none of teams with the resources would
> be happy about having to repeat the translations of the news
> item's titles in two different places when the current front
> page is able to do it automatically.
>
> In short, before the new pages can go live, we absolutely need
> something dynamic to take care of fetching the hand-picked news
> items, and perhaps also the sliding images and their texts.

I think the solution is to make those strings be part of gettext tags, and then
they would go to a .po file. I think that this way:
* changes in the wml pages could be done and the translations would not get
outdated,
* Once the string is translated (e.g. in an announcement that is published under
/News), the string will appear translated too in the homepage.

However,  I couldn't find the time to work on this to put it in practise yet. I
will try in the following week, though.

In any case, or if I am wrong and this does not work, we can play with the
mindelta/maxdelta tags in the translation-check header to avoid the translations
to become outdated just for a "news header" change, until we find a better solution.

Kind regards,
--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona