Re: "Your keyword was too generic"

Hi Phil,

On 13.06.19 13:55, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Dear debian-www@lists.debian.org,
>
> I'm not sure if you're the right contact for this, but if not
> maybe you can redirect me.

I don't know either.

> I find the package search web pages at packages.debian.org are
> very often useless, because I get the message "Your keyword was
> too generic".
>
> Specifically, today I found that the version of gcc in Stretch
> was too old for something, and I wondered what newer versions
> might be present in backports.  I ended up here:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gcc&searchon=names&section=all&suite=stretch-backports

Start by using an existing version of a packet, e.g.
https://packages.debian.org/sid/gcc

You can see there exist no *-backports versions, listed are:
 [  jessie  ] [  stretch  ] [  buster  ] [  sid  ] [  experimental  ]

> This just says "Your keyword was too generic.  Please consider
> using a longer keyword or more keywords."  So I know that there
> are gcc packages in backports, but it won't tell me which.  What
> longer keyword can I use? - the package is just called "gcc",
> isn't it?

I think the message is misleading but I don't know yet what a better
message would be.

Best wishes
Michael