Re: packages.d.o: gcc package search is resulting in "Your keyword was too generic"

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Schoenert wrote:
Hello Phil,

This list is about the Debian websites and the maintenance of them, so
unfortunately you are on the wrong list for asking such questions.

For better fitting support channels please visit

  https://www.debian.org/support

The error does come from the Debian website, and this address is
the one shown at the footer of the error page.  Maybe that could
be changed if it's wrong?

I've looked at https://www.debian.org/support, and clicked through
and I'm afraid I can't see a better choice for discussing issues with
the website package search than debian-www, sorry.

Specifically, today I found that the version of gcc in Stretch
was too old for something,

Really?
I never did experience such things. So the only thing I can image that
you want to use some C++17 or even C++19 features.

Yes, exactly.

But there are no backports of the gcc versions available!

That does seem to be true, as I eventually discovered.

So the output of the search is mostly correct.

I disagree; "Your keyword was too generic" suggests that there must be
thousands of packages matching the search term, not zero.

Anyway this is all off-topic if you are not the people who can fix it.

(Thanks also Michael for your replies.)

Thanks, Phil.