Re: packages.d.o: gcc package search is resulting in "Your keyword was too generic"

Hi Carsten,

On 13.06.19 15:39, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Am 13.06.19 um 13:55 schrieb Phil Endecott:
>> Dear debian-www@lists.debian.org,
>>
>> I'm not sure if you're the right contact for this, but if not
>> maybe you can redirect me.
>
> This list is about the Debian websites and the maintenance of them, so> unfortunately you are on the wrong list for asking such questions.

Unfortunately, that's the only address given visibly on the packages.d.o site:
To report a problem with the web site, please e-mail our publicly archived mailing
 list debian-www@lists.debian.org in English. For other contact information,
 see the Debian contact page. Web site source code is available.

So our site pointed Phil right here (I think we cannot expect people to go back to a general
contact page if they have a problem with a specific site).

>> This just says "Your keyword was too generic.  Please consider
>> using a longer keyword or more keywords."  So I know that there
>> are gcc packages in backports, but it won't tell me which.  What
>> longer keyword can I use? - the package is just called "gcc",
>> isn't it?
>>
>> Can something be done to fix this?
>
> Well, yes.
> The package you are searching isn't called 'gcc', this is probably the> final binary name you want to start on a cli or by scripts etc.

[...]

> But there are no backports of the gcc versions available! So the output
> of the search is mostly correct.

Yes but the message seems confusing to me, too.

Best wishes
Michael