Debian 9 is among the best systens available.

Hello everyone involved with debian,

Sorry If this is going to the wrong place. I think good news is seldom reported, and this operating system is really good. I left the linux world and went to MacOS for about 10 years. All was great until those operating systems went free, selling out users personal info, rather than charging for the OS. In terms of linux, I did some reading before choosing Debian. I came from the slackware, then Red Hat for most of the 1990s, when I was a telecom engineer. I liked Red Hat the best until they went commercial.

Fast forward to today, other than some difficulty getting used to the install tools, this OS is faster, more reliable, and has just about everything you could ever want from an OS. Yes, security is my one concern, and that is largely a fault of the IP protocol, and network equipment more than operating systems. Yes it could all get better. Debian is very good right now. Thanks for making this, and keeping the interests of the individuals, over selling out to governments, and corporate advertisers. Be assured there are millions out there, who should thank you personally, and will not likely have the time to do so.

Sean

I do have some useful information to pass on.

I recently went to a 2 SSD SATA bus in a 2010 Macbookpro. I experienced a lot of difficulty getting MacOS to boot on the first one, and Debian on the larger second one. I was able to resolve this by paying attention to the EFI Fat32 partition on the original disk, I noticed I could create one of these on the second disk, so I did. What happened surprised me. I no longer have to hit option to boot on the second SSD for Debian. I do have to hit option to run MacOS, and I am OK with that.

I have noticed a lot of dual boot suffering on the internet, and I think instructions could be made that cover more bases on this topic. Bottom line, Grub does do a great job, if you take some time and experiment with machines that can be reloaded again.

A potential bug with the partitioning tool for debian, is that the EFI boot option to create, is not there on a single disk system, if one already exists. I read that making these larger than they originally came, by about double is recommended some places. When I tried to recreate a larger one, I noticed the option to create a new EFI was gone! I went back to the main menu, and did not write those changes and recovered fine.

I hope this helps.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.