Re: The .git links on https://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/wml are broken

Hi Axel,

thanks for your help.

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 21:22:25 +0100
Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org> wrote:

> Dear Shlomi, dear Debian Webteam,
>
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > The .git links on https://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/wml at the
> > bottom of the page are broken- both in firefox
>
> Indeed. Reason is that
> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#version-control-system-vcs-fields
> requires to explicitly add " -b <branchname>" if the default branch
> isn't the master branch.
>
> The blanks in the Vcs-Git field get converted to to the URL-encoded
> %20 instead of having been left as blanks.

Ah, I recall the URLs there being different when I wrote the message back when
wml there was at a lower version - 2.4.x or so.

> > and in git clone.
>
> At least copying the text (not the linked URL) behind "git clone",
> i.e. "git clone https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake"
> works fine for me and checks out the git branch "cmake" instead of the
> master branch.
>
> So the proper solution is probably to not make hyperlinks out of the
> Vcs-Git field, at least not if it contains " -b ". I recommend to
> replace
>
> <dd><a href="https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake"
> class="pvcslink">https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake</a></dd>
>
> with just
>
> <dd>git clone https://salsa.debian.org/debian/wml.git -b cmake</dd>

Perhaps put this inside a readonly
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/Input element so it
will be easy to copy.

> Anyways, this specific case of the general issue (i.e. the blanks
> around the "-b" in Vcs-Git fields get URL-encoded) will be fixed with
> the next wml upload as I will merge back the cmake branch into the
> master branch which is the branch from which the Debian Unstable
> uploads are made.
>
> Ah, and if someone's tackling this, please also note that »<a
> href="/experimental/git-core">Git</a>« should be replaced with »<a
>
> a) git-core is gone (since buster) and a long-time (since at least
>    Debian 7 Wheezy!) transitional package and
> b) there's seldomly a git version in Debian Experimental.
>
> > Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post -
> > http://shlom.in/reply .
>
> Shlomi: Ignoring this on purpose as I don't expect you to be
> subscribed to the debian-www list just because of asking a question
> there about every second year.

Sure, the link directs to https://www.shlomifish.org/meta/FAQ/#reply_to_list
and I meant that one should not reply *only* to me and instead CC the list.
CCing me as well is perfectly fine.