Re: have new packages listed on the debian landing page

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM, shirish शिरीष wrote:

> I remember a service, either on debian-devel or debian-devel-announce
> where every few months, in the Bits from ... service/mail there used
> to be news of new packages which have come in the Debian archive.
> Think it was either bi-weekly or monthly service.

Were you thinking of "Debian Package of the Day"? It used to be
aggregated on Planet Debian but not d-a/d-d-a.

https://debaday.debian.net/

Also, see Laura's mail.

> While I do not know how feasible it might be, would it be possible if
> the service restarts, to have that same news also come on the landing
> page.

Sounds good to me.

> I believe (although might be mistaken) for most NEW packages and
> packagers it is hard to get users

I expect for most packages, the motivation for the maintainers is that
they themselves get to use them, rather than achieving a high popcon
value.

> While it probably might be a bit overboard to share all the new
> packages, a curated list from the bi-weekly/monthly announcement
> would encourage more users to try new packages.

I wonder if this might be a task for the blends, to highlight a
package of the month for their particular part of Debian.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise