Re: Cryptic website (scares away potential users)

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:30 AM, Stéphane Blondon wrote:

> I think it would be nice to have this list or a sentence explaining
> amd64 is probably the right choice:
>
> "For current desktops and laptops, amd64 is the right architecture."

Looks good, I'd also suggest the qualifier "most" and mentioning servers:

"For most current laptops, desktops and servers, amd64 is the right
architecture."

> I wonder where is a best place to insert it.

Anywhere there is a list of architectures that could confuse people,
so it should probably be put in a template and included on each
relevant page.

> In we insert the list, I think 'server' and 'old server' should include
> an approximate date (2000?). However, people using sparc64 (ou itanium,
> etc.) knows they have an uncommon architecture. So, in my opinion, the
> more important is to provide an hint for amd64 users.

Year ranges would be appropriate indeed.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise