Displaying Instructions for Verifying Installation Media

-----Original Message-----
From: Leon Traille
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 3:42 PM
To: Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>
Subject: RE: Displaying Instructions for Verifying Installation Media

I think every page containing at least one direct download should be updated. I have found the following
	https://www.debian.org/distrib/
	https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
	https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
	https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
	https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/debian-installer/

I'd recommend placing the links in its own section with a heading and a short explanation.

For example, on page https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst, you could add section before the downloads like the following:

	<h2>Verifying Image Files</h2>

The download and checksum links below a verification section could be organized like the following:

I think it is best to place the all the download sections after the verification section.

The https://www.debian.org/CD/live/ page doesn't contain direct downloads but the pages it does link to do not contain verification like other similar pages. For example, compare http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/ with http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/ . I think pages like the former should be changed to look like the latter. This includes the following pages:
	http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
	http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/bt-hybrid/
	http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
	http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/

I also think the verification page https://www.debian.org/CD/verify is a little too vague. I think it should include step by step details of how to perform the verification with commands and expected outputs.

I think the installation guides should also include detailed explanation of and recommendation for verification with appropriate links to the secure verification guide page https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

The download on the main page https://www.debian.org/ should navigate to a page with a verification section, before automatically downloading the file. This allows the same behavior of having a direct download on the main page but with the benefit of having the user see a verification recommendation.

I would also like to note that some other distributions provide the checksum on a secure page, simplifying the verification process considerably.

https://www.debian.org/distrib/