Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 12:46:55PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Boyuan Yang wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As a newcomer who wants to contribute to the Debian website, I was shocked
> > when I heard that debian.org website is still using CVS to manage the source
> > code.
> >
> > I know there is a saying that "If things ain't broken, don't fix it.". But this
> > is nearly 2017 today, not 2007 or 1997. CVS is seriouly outdated and largely
> > replaced by SVN (or even Git).
> >
> > If we continue to use CVS in the website source management, the disadvantages
> > are clear:
> >
> > * All the shortcomings that exist in CVS but solved by SVN or Git.
> > * Fewer and fewer people know how to manipulate with CVS, and most of the
> > others won't be willing to learn it.
> > * Difficulty in setting up modern web interface. (Compare viewvc with GitHub, or
> > for free software, GitLab or even cgit.)
> > * Difficulty in mirroring.
> > * ...which means the number of new content contributor would decrease.
> >
> > Needless to say there are various tools that can help convert a CVS repo into
> > a SVN repo or Git repo and they handle this job properly.
>
> This idea comes up every few years but we haven't yet found someone
> with the time, skills and motivation to implement it.
> Some historical documents and discussions are in these links:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/20130516005223.GV26735@rzlab.ucr.edu
> https://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteVCSEvaluation
> https://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteSVNTransition
>
> > I know the migration to other version control system would not be trivial and
> > hurt the current workflow, but I strongly suggest that we set up a timetable or
> > future plan. So will debian.org continue to use CVS to manage its source code?
> > If yes, when will we re-analyze this choice? If not, when will we do the
> > migration?

Roadmap
* Realize that we MUST adept. A change is really needed.
* Accept that there will be temporary breakage
* Announce that leaving CVS is coming up
* Have canned replies: "Currently this is going on, See URL for how to help"
* Do a last CVS change and commit
    echo "switched to git" > switch.announce.tmp
    echo "see URL" >> switch.announce.tmp
    mv README README.tmp
    cat switch.announce.tmp README.tmp > README
    # cvs add README
    cvs commit -m "thank you and goodbye"
* Make CVS read only
* Convert CVS repository to a git repository
* Put the git repository on-line
* Work with ( read from and write to ) the git repo
* Smile because now the journey is really started
* Focus on being able to update the website again
* Enjoy the milestone of a website update
* Now focus on getting a translation working again
* Make more translations possible
* Be happy surprised about whatelse showed up
* Conquer those challenges
* Replace CVS references with git ones. To avoid that people mis the new workflow
* Enjoy reaching the goal

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--