Re: Forbidden You are not allowed to access this!

On 03/24/2014 03:50 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 04:52:08AM +0100, Jérôme Pinguet wrote:
>> Dear Debian Wiki people!
>>
>> I love your wiki, I think it's great.
>>
>> Trouble is, I cannot access it cause I'm trying to protect my privacy
>> and right to free speech using a VPN called ipredator (ipredator.se).
>>
>> I'm using ipredator because it's the only VPN I ever heard off you never
>> gave the data of its users to rogue governements. As you are probably
>> aware, in the country I live in, France, the government spies heavily on
>> its people's Internet communications.
>>
>> Please allow me to access your wiki.
> Hi Jérôme,
>
> Ipredator is a massive source of spam, which is why they're
> blocked. I've contacted them multiple times to report wiki spam
> attacks. Initially they replied to emails but there was no discernible
> change in spam attack levels. After many many such spam attempts I
> started totally blocking access from their network.
>
> If you have a problem because of using the Ipredator service, I
> suggest you complain to them or switch to using a less spam-friendly
> alternative. wiki.debian.org is not the only site that blocks
> Ipredator - google for "ipredator spam" to see a variety of anti-spam
> forums discussing them.

Dear Steve!

I still can't access Debian Wiki and protect my privacy at the same time.

Could you explain me in very simple terms why you have to block
IPredator users from *reading* the Debian wiki in order to prevent wiki
spam?

I thought reading a wiki was a different thing from spamming a wiki. But
I'm not a Debian administrator so maybe I don't understand this wiki
censorship stuff well enough...

Wouldn't you agree to let me read your wiki?

I'm sure the brilliant Debian community can find a way to block edition
and subscription from IPredator IPs while at the same time allowing
legit users of IPredator (one of the very few VPN services that really
protect the privacy of their users and use OpenVPN free software) to
read the pages of the wiki.

I don't want to edit or spam your wiki, I just want to read it.

Thank you very much.

--
OpenPGP / GPG key: 0x14B7E62420E51038
I encrypt emails with GPG, Thunderbird & Enigmail.